Road to being 23 (side6: Arsenal, Nigerian and Sane)



My brother Chudy is a die hard Arsenal fan, like DIE HARD ARSENAL FAN!. If there's anybodys voice that'll be louder than a microphone during an Arsenal game, no mistakes, nah my brother be that.

He was the only football freak in our house (well he still is), and we had only one TV set. When it was time for UCL or premier league, the TV was a no go area for the rest of my family, that is my mum, my dad, myself and baby sis go just respect ourselves allow my brother to watch football in peace. Me and my sister go just dey carry face upandan, wetin concern my mummy, sometimes she sits and watch the match too and only screams when the ball goes over the bar, yes, she supports both teams in a football match. That time, she be all weather.

In due time, daddy got roped in, my brother roped him in and the rest became history. One down (my daddy), one sitting on the fence (my mum), two to go (baby sis and me).

One day, I decided to sit and watch with them too, I was tired of carrying face, cos all the face wey I don carry since ages past, nothing change, so if you can't beat them, support their ministry.

I sat with them to watch grown adults pursuing ball upandan, the sight was irritating me till i saw this fine guy, fine young guy. As at the time of meeting him, they said he was 19. The youngest player in the team (now you can start your guess). This boy was too fine abeg, plus he was sooo young, I crushed on him, so I always wanted to watch him play. That was how I too got roped in to watching football.

When I talk about Arsenal, I talk about the Arsenal of old, the Arsenal of Walcott (my everyday crush ), Thierry Henry and Adebayor, see eh, till date nah only those three I sabi as Arsenal players, cos na dem I know. Don't even ask me about the present players cos I don't know any of them except Arsene Wenger. (Shame on you too )

I am an Arsenal of old, that's why I maintain the red and white jersey, funny enough, its my favorite and the best of all the jerseys if anyone should ask.

How do I combine my being Arsenal, a Nigerian and still maintain my sanity, oh well, the first question I ask myself is what has Arsenal done for me?
(nothing).

Do I need to kee myself if they don't win? (No)

The ones wey dem don win before, how much dem gimme? (Zero kobo)

When dem dey comot players sign new ones, dem tell me? (Wait o, dem sabi you?)

When dem change uniform begin use yellow, shey dem ask if you like the jersey? (Mba o, ha juru kwa'm)

So tell me my brothers and sisters in the football ministry, should I now die if my team no dey win?

I cannot comman gaan kee myself o biko, I still have plans of being chattered, na that place dem go recognise me.

Finally on being Nigerian, see eh, las-las na God hand we dey. No comment.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday Butterflies

Something to Rant about (Don't break true friendship)

What I think of Feminism when I'm alone